Thursday, June 01, 2006

Weekend

The five-day trip to the Bay Area this weekend was fantastic. Every time I visit I think about how I would really enjoy living there. San Francisco, especially, has it all. It’s a very large, yet manageable, urban city. There’s access to the ocean and mountains. Other coastal and mountainous regions are very close as are the Napa and Sonoma wine regions. Berkley’s more collegiate/bohemian atmosphere and Marin County’s hills provide fantastic alternates to city living. The climate is tough to beat – at least compared to the 100+ degree Dallas heat. If you like colder/warmer weather, you can live a little more inland and you’d get the seasons. As with most other large cities, it’s difficult and expensive to own a car, but that is a plus and a minus. Anyway, until I can afford an Aston Martin Vanquish, I wouldn’t be too bummed about not driving…although I love my Volvo. Perhaps I can take advantage of LBS' large exchange program and go to Berkeley for a term to try things out. Having family in Berkeley and two friends attending Hass definitely adds to the draw.
.
Back to this weekend’s activities. Friday night consisted of milling around Berkeley, all day Saturday and Sunday morning were spent milling around San Francisco, Sausalito and Stinson Beach made up Sunday evening, and finally a ton of wine drinking took place in the hills of Sonoma County (Dry Creek & Russian River Valley) on Monday and Tuesday.