Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Football Insomniac

In a fit of insomnia, I woke up at 3am this morning and decided to watch a Tivo’d UEFA game between Barcelona and Benfica. While the game was less than inspiring, it did remind me just how much I am going to enjoy living in a football crazed culture. It also reminded me that I will have to make the ever important decision of picking a London club to support, which unlike living in Barcelona or Lisbon, will be complicated. London is home to 6 Premiership teams (+7 others) – Arsenal, Charlton, Chelsea, Fulham, Tottenham, and West Ham.

Jumping on a power house team’s bandwagon usually ensures the most opportunities to celebrate/gloat; however, this may not be possible in London. Arsenal’s had the most success in this year’s Champion’s League (in the quarter finals right now), but both Chelsea (1st) and Tottenham (4th) are ahead of them (6th) in Premiership standings. An alternative may be to support the teams that my new friends support…so much to think about, and thankfully, so much time to do so, especially if I keep waking up at 3am!