Tuesday, April 04, 2006

ctrl+HP?

My research into buying a new laptop has yielded some front runners – the HP dv5000 line and the Acer Aspire WL5004MI. These laptops supposedly have the ability to run Microsoft’s new Vista operating system (64-bit processors +1GB RAM +100GB HD) and are affordable at US$1,000-1,400. While I still prefer an IBM/Lenovo, their exorbitant price tags and 32-bit processors detract from their appeal. I may wait a couple of more months to see what shakes out before making this purchase.

Regarding LBS, I have now become fairly familiar with the school’s portal system. I even decided to contact several of my prospective new classmates this morning. I emailed both admits from Dallas that I am aware of as well as sent a note to three flatshare profiles. I was also happy to hear from LBS’ financial aid office that my loan application has a good chance of being approved. I am now waiting for various paper statements, etc. to come in so I can file the official application. I am particularly sensitive to this timing because I am even more anxious about securing a student visa (this makes the move official in my mind). With the loan process taking 4-6 weeks, I hope to have the necessary paperwork ready by the first of June so I can apply for a student visa as early as possible (3 mo’s before start of class). I know that I may be overly anxious about the process, but as someone who was born in Iran, I have learned not to take immigration matters for granted until approvals are in hand.

In other news, I was very impressed by how the University of Florida dominated the NCAA’s basketball championship game last night against UCLA. As stated numerous times by the announcers, they played a near perfect game. I’m willing to bet my old manager who went to UF undergrad is telling everyone today that he’s been the #1 Gator fan for years.