Saturday, March 25, 2006

Aftermath

Now that my excitement has settled a bit (ie, I’ve recovered from Thu night), I can’t wait to get my LBS packet so I can take the next steps towards moving:

Loans > Student visa > Sell everything > Quit work > Jump the Atlantic

I’m also beginning to wonder about living arrangements. As I will not be able to travel to London prior to moving there, I will have to either (1) find roommates that can secure a place to live (2) move in early August and give myself a week to find a place. I certainly prefer option 1, but to ensure a comfortable situation, I would also prefer to first meet any prospective roommates over a weekend in the US…things should clarify as I virtually meet more of my prospective 300 classmates through the school’s Portal.

In reflection, one of the most fantastic parts of this process has been how many friends/co-workers have offered their help (networking in action!). I am to meet a good friend’s cousin who is visiting from London at dinner tonight; an old director at my company has offered to introduce me to ex-employees now living and working (Barclays/Dell) in London; an old manager has offered his help in securing an internship for me at his new consulting firm (Mercer). This, on top of my friend’s genuine happiness for me, has been wonderful…

…Thursday night started with a Champagne toast and cigar with a couple who’s been dear friends to me over the past six years. That was followed up with dinner, carrot cake, and several dozen whisky and sodas with 10 or so close friends while watching the sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament (fantastic basketball games so far). The night ended frightfully late, but I am now recovered and ready to make some moves.

While it will be sad to move away from such great friends, I am so excited about making 1000 new and truly unique friends during my two years at LBS.