Friday, June 30, 2006

Going out of business sale…

I’ve finally begun selling my stuff. The first thing to go was my mountain bike. Next a router that I used exactly one time to make exactly one picture frame, which is exactly how I did not financially justify the $300 purchase to myself…the one saving grace is that the $325 (+materials) frame turned out quite nice. My sofa/chair, coffee table, and TV are likely next to go. Once one of these major items is gone, I should feel the reality of moving my life much more than I do now. Regarding what I’ll miss most…pretty sure my car and cat. I’ve had both for almost exactly the same amount of time - 3 years - and I have grown quite fond of both.

By the time I’m through, I hope to have widdled my life down to 3 suitcases, 1 tube of art work/prints, a kick-a** small Persian rug, and 1 box of photos/mementos. As I’ve inventoried my belonging, I’ve realized that I’ve inadvertently amassed a lot of stuff (and that I’ve used “I’ve” way too many times in this posting). For example, I’ve...got two sets of golf clubs, china/crystal dishware, a pair of crutches, a box of baseball cards from when I was 10 years old, 5 suitcases/bags, 5 coats, a guitar I’ve played maybe ten times, the aforementioned router, etc., etc., etc. What? Why? No clue. Realizing that I own all this stuff makes me feel really weighed down; ergo, I’m looking forward to lightening up. My mom cautions me that I shouldn’t sell any major things until I'VE secured my student visa; but, I’m not too worried about it even in the unlikely event that a visa doesn’t work out.

In other news, I just wrapped up a two hour lunch (short-timing would be an understatement for my work days right now) where I watched Germany beat Argentina in penalty kicks. Great game and I’m sure the Argentine coach will get fired for pulling Crespo and Riquelme out of the game. Tomorrow at 9am I’m heading to a great pub to watch the England v Portugal and Brazil v France games… I LOVE the World Cup...and my car and cat.